Proceeds of this event will support the Sunshine Fund to help give more underprivileged children the opportunity to experience camp. Each year kids are turned away due to a lack of funds which is a difficult message to give to families who really are in need of the assistance.
The event is intended to be fun and unique, as such all activities incorporate a camp and canoe portage like flavour – three legged race challenges with weighted backpacks, land challenges involving water, portaging a canoe, and wilderness first aid will all be components of the race. The portage section will be the most challenging as it is a 1km loop over the pedestrian bridge at the Forks (Esplanade Riel).
Volunteers are still needed so if you would like to help out, please let Liz Kovach (MCA Executive Director) know.
- Registration is open @ http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=10595
- Team members are required to register individually however are asked to provide their team name, registration is $50.00 per person.
- For all participants that raise $150.00, we will return your registration fee, or provide you with a tax receipt if you choose to donate it to the Sunshine Fund.
- Online pledges can be collected by sending out this link once you have registered, the Running Room will provide tax receipts on our behalf to donors that give through the Pledge an Athlete, or Give to Charity option. http://www.giving.runningroom.com/hm/
- Teams will self-split into pairs to carry through various activities/obstacles
- The final two-some will be portage the canoe for a 1 km loop over the esplanade riel and back
- A canoe paddle is the official “baton” and consistent with relay race style, must be carried at all times and passed off at each exchange
- Once the portage section is completed, the teams will be required to complete a Wilderness First Aid challenge that will bring them to the finish line as a group!
- Event date: Saturday, May 24th
- Location: The Forks Festival Park and Scotiabank Stage Area
- Registration open: 7:30am
- Canoe lifting orientation starts at: 8am
- Live on Location broadcast with Virgin 103.1 & Ace Burpee from 9-1
- Event start time: 9am
- Awards Ceremony: noon
- Wrap-up 1pm
Prizes will be Awarded
- Top Fundraising Camp
- Top Fundraising Team (non-corporate)
- Top Fundraising Corporate
- Team that displays the most team spirit!